Monday, June 11, 2012

The Toad and I

This is a guest post from Jim.

A couple weeks ago, I hauled home a quantity of paving blocks with which to build a walkway in our garden and stacked them nearby. Today, I finally got around to it, hot and dirty though it was.
At the start, I noticed a fat toad peering out from under one of the bottom-most blocks in a particular stack. It must have been his semi-permanent shelter because he had hollowed out just enough space for him to squat in the shade beneath.
Not wanting to harm him while moving blocks around, I pulled him out and sat him aside. He immediately toadied back inside his nook.
So, I left him be while digging the bed, laying plastic for a weed barrier and doing all the things necessary for the job at hand.
The toad kept his place throughout and seemed to be watching my progress, offering no comment.
At the end, I had 4 blocks left over, so at Karren's suggestion, I made a right turn with 2 of them. 
Problem was, the toad was still under one of the pink blocks, which I needed to maintain the pattern.
I carefully moved that block and just as carefully substituted the one leftover gray block.
The toad is as before and seemingly content.
Glad it worked out that way.

No comments: