Monday, June 04, 2012

Harvest Monday

I haven't gotten out into the garden much in the past few days, so wandered out there this morning and found bounty out there needing to be harvested.  
Each garlic plant had thrown up a scape that needed to be removed.  That's the flowering part of the garlic plant.   If you leave it grow, it'll make little bulblets that you can plant, but they take much longer to become the wonderful garlic plants we love than if you plant a clove, so it's best to clip them off.  I've always heard about how delicious fresh garlic scapes were, and so I carefully snipped that alien looking growth out of each of the many garlic plants that are growing so well this year and brought them inside.   Now I just have to figure out how I want to consume them.   I can pickle em, blend them into pesto, add them to greens for a mild garlic flavor, or chop and make a pasta topping.   Yummmm, maybe some each way.
 There were a lot of peapods to harvest too, about a cup and a half of strawberries, and a lot of basil.    Turnips, beets, kale and lots of various kinds of lettuce are all ready now too, but will probably wait until tomorrow for harvesting. 

I love this time of year.  Talk about eating locally!  

No comments: