Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Last Day in Vermont

Sadly, all good things must come to an end, and even we wanderers have to get home to Indiana. We spent a last day visiting, helping a little more on the house, Jim got to hike a few miles on the nearby Appalachian Trail, and Lora and I went to a few yard sales to find some bargains. After meeting up one more time at the house on the riverside, Lora and I explored the outside of Wilson Castle, a beautiful old home on the outskirts of Rutland, while we waited for the restaurant to open. It was really something in its time, and even though it's crumbling, still something to see.

First find was a huge old Douglas fir, I think, which prompted the usual reaction in me---Gotta go hug a tree! Where's Kim when I need my tree hugging partner? It was so big that the branches sheltered a 20' in diameter space underneath with room for two picnic tables and generous space to spare. Lora snapped my picture in this necessary ceremonial getting in touch with the soul of yet another big tree.

I'll just post the pictures without text between, but they show fancy brickwork, wearing away, vines growing through a basement window, the main entrance, with eagle statue guarding it, and the side entrance, with beautiful blue stained glass above it. What an amazing house that was, and today, it'll make the perfect place for the haunted house they're planning soon.








No comments: