Thursday, May 02, 2013

Our Annual Miracle

 Each year about this time, this beautiful magnolia tree in front of our house bursts into joyous, exuberant bloom.   I realized this spring, that this is now 40 years, I've been able to enjoy this annual miracle.  

When we bought this house, 40 years ago now, that tree was just about 5 feet tall, and I was very young, moving into my first home of my own, with my then husband and daughter.     It was my dream home in the country and we planned chickens and home grown vegetables, and all the joys that go with it. 

Who would have known that I'd still be here, all these years later, 3 children grown and moved on, after many years here alone, and now with a husband who shares my joy in the natural world that surrounds us.

 Now the tree is taller than the two story house.  We've declared the place to be a nature preserve, and share these trees with barred owls, pileated woodpeckers, hummingbirds, woodcocks, the occasional turkey, and lots of other birds and animals.

With all the good and great things around us, one constant surprise is this magnificent magnolia, returning to bloom each spring in a slow, timeless beauty.  
What a marvelous thing this is, to be able to watch this tree each year. 

Life is very good.

No comments: