Friday, May 14, 2010

Morels!!

Oh, Boy! What a day! I had to fast for an upcoming test, so I was just grumping around the house feeling a bit sorry for myself and working at the computer when I saw the first hummingbird of the season right outside my window! We've had one small feeder up for a couple of weeks, watching for their arrival, but this was the first one we've seen this year.As I was heading for the rest of the feeders to put them up, Jim called for me to come outside with the camera. He'd found a nice big morel mushroom in our favorite picking spot and wanted me to come help look for more. We love harvesting wild foods, and morel mushrooms are our absolute rare treat favorites. Of course, I went right away.What a bounty! We found more and more, all over. I planted them in this spot over 20 years ago by throwing out the soaking water of shrooms I'd found elsewhere and they've come up every year since.These were the big yellow ones that almost seem to glow when you spot them hiding among the sticks and leaves on the woods floor and we found them in the original spot and about 20 feet away in each direction. Nice!That means they're spreading, a wonderful thing to happen.We had enough to put some away for another day, and a generous amount for today. While I was having my test done-(which turned out fine, by the way) Jim went out and bought a small steak and a vidalia onion. What a feast!
For dinner we had fresh morel mushrooms, dusted in wheat free flour and quickly sauted outside in olive oil. That's followed by Sirloin steak, roasted red potatoes, a baked vidalia onion with a little butter, a huge salad of our own greenhouse grown lettuces and spinach, and accompanied by an Australian Cabernet Sauvignon-Shiraz blend, deep, rich and delicious.
For dessert we had slivers of edam cheese, red seedless grapes and a tiny bit of dark chocolate. While enjoying dessert, we had a front row seat to watch the hummingbirds at the freshly filled feeders. We're always delighted to watch these tiny flying jewels, and to think of their flight all the way from Mexico, across the Gulf to return here each year is just mind-boggling, especially to think that they had to cross the path of the oil spill this year! Amazing.

Life is very good. Slainte'

No comments: