Friday, May 08, 2009

Mushrooms! More Wild Foods!



This time of year, you'll find us, head down, roaming the woods, looking for those elusive jewels, the morel mushroom. We'd already been out looking several times with very limited success, when Jim suddenly took a notion to drive up to a Michigan walking trail we like.

Ten minutes later, we were on the road, driving over an hour to search. There's a limit to how far I can walk the trail, so we usually take along my bike, drop me off about 5 miles out of the small town we like to park the car at. I bike to town, Jim walks toward me, we meet in the middle to visit a minute, then I go get the car, load the bike and go pick him up.

At 8 miles out, I suddenly needed to get out. Jim dropped me by the side of the road and started to drive away. I pushed off and started toward the trail, looked down and saw my first 'shroom, then three more, right near it.

Frantically, I waved Jim down before he got out of sight, and he came running back. We found 36 nice sized yellows, and a small snake, within 30 feet of that first one. Even though we eventually walked and rode that entire 8 miles, there were no more finds for the day. That was it.

What a treasure trove! We brought them home, soaked in salt water, and enjoyed the first bunch of them just fried with a little flour, then more made into an alfredo pasta sauce. We still have a small bowl full for tonight's dinner, with a small steak.

Hooray for Spring, and small wild miracles!



1 comment:

GreyCrazy said...

Oh.....my......gosh.......

You're KILLIN' me Mom! I just want one or two itty bitty ones and I'd be happy. LOL

My favorite wild food miracle. What a terrific find!